Behavioral Sciences Administrative Assistant
- - Behavioral Sciences Collegium
- St. Petersburg, FL, USA
- Full Time
ECKERD COLLEGE JOB DESCRIPTION
Department: Behavioral Sciences Collegium
Position Number: 000279
Position Title: Behavioral Sciences Administrative Assistant
Immediate Supervisor/Title: Collegial Chair
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Position Summary (briefly describe the general purpose of the position)
The person in this position provides administrative assistance to the professors of the Collegium of Behavioral Sciences which includes the disciplines of Economics, Environmental Studies, Management, Political Science, Psychology, and Sociology. The assistant will serve as the office manager, will supervise student employment, and will handle bookkeeping for the collegium. S/he will need strong skills in written and oral communication, office organization, word processing, and data entry. Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to handle diverse assignments in a fast-paced environment are necessary. Certain times of the year involve a heavier workload and unexpected office distractions. Semester beginnings and ends are busy due to an increase in photocopying requests and new schedules. Summer months can be quiet, allowing for some flexibility in the job.
(Include but are not limited to:)
● Budget Manager of Collegium
○ Keep ledgers for all account lines for collegium, both collegial and discipline lines.
○ Oversee reimbursement, invoice payments, account transfers, cash advances, petty cash disbursements, and student employment funds (work study, student assistant).
○ Prepare financial transactions for chair approval, and reconcile financial transactions online.
○ Keep chair abreast of budget activity, especially when accounts are being expended quickly.
● Office Manager
○ Serve as receptionist for office.
○ Organize monthly collegial lunches and faculty social interactions.
○ Plan occasional social events.
○ Manage daily tasks including: distributing mail, photocopying, answering phones, overseeing work scholars, running errands, filing, etc.
○ Oversee larger projects and meet campus deadlines, which include: submitting course descriptions for new catalogues, making bookstore orders, updating course offerings, identifying seniors for discipline awards, and submitting final grades.
○ Maintain office, including stocking kitchen and office supplies (also nameplates for new faculty), etc.
○ Oversee use of office equipment such as Scantron, fax, photocopier, etc.
○ Handle keys for office (file and supply cabinets, faculty offices) and order keys for new faculty.
○ Maintain and update Collegium emergency management plan, telephone tree and evacuation plans, and photo inventory of offices and rooms.
○ Oversee use of the Collegium's common spaces, e.g., Conference/Seminar room, Faculty/Student Research room, Computer Lab, etc.
● Assistant to Professors
○ Type, proofread, and photocopy materials for class or students, including handouts, syllabi, exams, and letters of recommendation.
○ Help professors with their professional responsibilities, including curriculum vitae, activity statements, as well as article- and book-length research manuscripts.
○ Support faculty searches including: maintaining candidate files and correspondence, arranging limo, hotel and interview schedules for campus visits, and scheduling rooms for search committee meetings and teaching demonstrations.
○ Provide administrative and logistical support to faculty involved in large projects on behalf of the College (e.g., programming, events, conference planning, etc.).
○ Act as liaison between Behavioral Sciences faculty and all other college offices concerning faculty office needs.
○ Help professors with miscellaneous "rush" jobs.
○ Keep a current calendar of meetings, paydays, special events, and deadlines, and send out reminders for such important things.
○ Keep a schedule of professors' classes and office hours, and up-to-date information about travel to conferences and other absences.
○ Keep photocopies of all current syllabi accessible in office, and electronic copies of past syllabi on file for future requests.
○ Keep a master list of mentors and their associates.
○ Keep all faculty newsletters, course offerings (both present and past) on file for professors.
○ Keep all forms (work order, schedules, new course proposal, etc.) on file for use by professors.
○ Keep on file all e-mail correspondence from Behavioral Sciences Chair to the collegium.
● Assistant to Students and Visitors
○ Direct students to professors, their mailboxes, and offices.
○ Have working knowledge of important campus contacts and general office information (e.g., registrar's office).
Position Directly Supervises (name/title)
Minimum Qualifications (knowledge, skills, and abilities needed upon entry into the position)
● Excellent interpersonal skills.
● Excellent command of the English language, both written and verbal.
● Efficient multi-tasking ability, interfaced with public interactions.
● Word, Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, WordPerfect, and their equivalents.
● Speed and accuracy in performance of secretarial and clerical duties
● Ability to prioritize tasks and complete work in a timely manner.
● Ability to work well under pressure.
● Ability to use initiative and exercise good judgment.
● Ability to discreetly handle confidential/sensitive information.
● Ability to maintain a good relationship with students, faculty, staff, and the general public.
● Knowledge in the operation of various office equipment, i.e., computer, fax, copier, scanner, and telephones.
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN CLOSED! PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE OPTIONS BELOW:
- Search Current Openings
Sign Up For Job Alerts
Follow Us On Social Media