Public Services Supervisor
- - Library
- St. Petersburg, FL, USA
- Full Time
ECKERD COLLEGE JOB DESCRIPTION
Position Number: 000503
Position Title: Public Services Supervisor
Immediate Supervisor/Title: Access Services Librarian
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
The Public Services Supervisor provides excellent customer service while remaining mindful of the mission and ethics of Eckerd College. This position supervises the opening of the library and daytime operation of the Library Information Desk and works cooperatively with other departments in the library to ensure timely access to library facilities, services and collections. The typical work schedule will be Monday through Friday from 8:00 am - 4:30 pm, but will adjust as the academic calendar changes throughout the term and during the summer and holiday months.
● Responsible for hiring, training, scheduling, supervising, coaching and terminating when necessary between 16 and 20 student workers per semester (revolving as students graduate or as financial aid awards dictate).
● Responsible for maintaining and monitoring payroll budget for all library student workers ensuring compliance with library and student account budgets.
● Responsible for the supervision, training and preparation of performance evaluations for two part-time Library Assistants and two student supervisors. Ability to work a flex schedule to ensure regular and consistent mentoring of direct reports may be necessary.
● Apply independent judgment and work in conjunction with the Access Services Librarian and Director of Library Services to enforce library policies that pertain to the use of library services, collections and facilities by public guests and members of the Eckerd College Community.
● Sustain communication with the Access Services Librarian and Director of Library Services via regular meetings to discuss/revise library policies, resolve workflow issues and to ensure that vital information is shared and accountability enforced.
● Responsible for the public services operations including but not limited to timely opening, staffing, enforcing building policy, placing maintenance requests and resolving policy questions voiced by students, faculty and staff.
● Advise students and faculty in the general use of the library catalog and subject databases, and recognize when research questions need to be forwarded to a Eckerd College Liaison Librarian. Track inquiries received via LibAnswers to inform staffing and training needs.
● Maintain knowledge of all library policies and procedures.
● Maintain proficiency with the library's integrated library system, Voyager.
● Communicate with Ex Libris technical support to resolve technical issues, software glitches, or to improve report automation.
● In conjunction with the staff from Information Technology Services, electronically load patron groups into Voyager running scripts in a TelNet session on a (weekly/monthly/as needed) basis.
● In conjunction with the Application Programmer Analyst, electronically transfer fines to the Bursar running scripts in a TelNet session on a weekly basis.
● Responsible for preparation and dissemination of all correspondence relating to circulation activities, i.e., overdue notices, hold notices, bills and fines, and reports.
● Maintain confidentiality while accessing patron records and circulation history.
● Responsible for corresponding with personnel at libraries with whom Eckerd has cooperative borrowing arrangements including USF (Tampa and St. Petersburg Campuses) to resolve fines and fees issues.
● Responsible for compiling and maintaining monthly circulation records and statistics.
● Oversee annual library inventory and faculty recall of overdue items.
● Responsible for supervision of the library shelf maintenance program.
● Responsible for minor machine maintenance (i.e., adding paper and toner to copiers and printers).
● Must be available for some weekend and/or evening scheduling as needed.
● Write statistical queries in SQL and build reports in MS Access for analysis of user-facing resources.
● Provide service analytics to the Access Services Librarian and Director of Library Services on a monthly basis.
● Responsible for answering the main library phone line and for being the central point of contact.
● Provide general directional information to assist both library patrons and campus visitors.
● Maintain knowledge of all library policies and procedures.
● Serve as the information services desk attendant when student work scholars are unavailable.
● Develop and maintain relationships across campus with those who have a direct relationship with the information services department including: ITS, Business Office, Human Resources, Student Affairs, Career Resources, Copy Center and all Faculty.
Responsible for the supervision of timely faculty reserve processing, copyright compliance, and reporting. Including the following:
● Receive reserve requests and materials
● Process and label items and create catalog records
● Manage the removal of items, catalog records and return of materials at the end of each semester
● Manage reserve lists and oversee improvements and changes to the Reserve Desk procedures.
The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Minimum Qualifications (knowledge, skills, and abilities needed upon entry into the position)
● Power-user of MS Office Suite, including MS Access and MS Excel (VBA), and G-Suite
● 1-3 years' experience writing SQL queries
● Service-driven: Must enjoy working with the public – particularly students and faculty
● Well organized with the ability to multitask a variety of responsibilities
● Excellent oral and written communication skills
● Superior supervisory skills
● Dependable and punctual
● Team player
● High school diploma required
● Bachelor degree or commensurate library experience strongly preferred
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN CLOSED! PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE OPTIONS BELOW:
- Search Current Openings
Sign Up For Job Alerts
Follow Us On Social Media