Front Gate Officer
- - Campus Safety and Security
- St. Petersburg, FL, USA
- Full Time
ECKERD COLLEGE JOB DESCRIPTION
Department: Campus Safety and Security
Position Title: Front Gate Officer
Immediate Supervisor/Title: Assistant Director of Campus Safety and Security
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Work Schedule: Three days on three days off – 12 hour shifts 6:00pm-6:00am (Exact days will change in rotation with other Front Gate Officer)
The Gate Officer provides a security point for monitoring the influx of persons onto the Eckerd College Campus. The Front Gate Officer checks IDs of students, registers guests, answers the phone, and dispatches Officers to calls. The Front Gate Officer hands out orientation materials and gives directions to various buildings, offices, and events on campus.
• Checks persons (faculty, staff, administration, student, visitors, and contractors) entering the campus by vehicle, bicycle or on foot to ensure that they are authorized to enter campus.
• Receives calls for assistance and/or information and records all relevant information then dispatches and/or informs Campus Safety Officers of the call.
• Communicates effectively with colleagues, departments and constituents in order to create a common understanding.
• Monitors college security alarms, fire alarms, and weather alerts.
• Gives directions to parking areas, building locations, campus events, and offices as needed.
• Distributes orientation material (e.g. campus map, general information) to visitors as needed.
• Responsible for calling and interfacing with all emergency responders.
• Attend training courses as directed.
• Enforces College policies according to EC handbook, local, state, and federal laws.
• Prepares accurate, timely, clear and concise reports of incidents in accordance with departmental procedures in order to provide a complete and on-going record of Campus Safety related activities.
• Works closely with student work-scholars.
• Performs other work related duties as required and/or assigned.
Knowledge, Abilities, and Skills
• An outgoing, friendly personality.
• Excellent verbal communication, public relations skills, and personal demeanor.
• Ability to stand for long periods of time and move from building to curbside repeatedly.
• Ability to exercise restraint and good judgment in stressful situations.
• Ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
• Ability to speak clearly under stressful circumstances, either directly or through amplified radio, telephone transmissions.
• Applicants must be 21 years of age
• Must be able to pass and maintain Basic First Aid, CPR and AED certifications.
• Willingness to wear established departmental uniform while on duty
• Must be able to perform and meet the physical demands required in this position (i.e., sit or stand for long periods of time)
• Must be competent with computerized information systems and be able to accurately type reports using word processing software.
• Must possess excellent communication and customer service skill.
• Possess a current and valid Florida Motor Vehicle Operator's License and be able to obtain vehicle insurance.
- Must have a Class D License.
• Graduation from high school or GED equivalent required, some college preferred.
EOE. Applications from women and minorities encouraged.