Director of Counseling Services
- - Counseling and Health Services
- St. Petersburg, FL, USA
- Full Time
ECKERD COLLEGE JOB DESCRIPTION
Position Title: Director of Counseling Services
Department: Counseling and Health Services / Student Affairs Division
Position Number: 000046
Immediate Supervisor/Title: Executive Director of Counseling, Outreach, & Health Services
FLSA Status: Exempt
The Director of Counseling Services has the overall administrative and clinical responsibility for student counseling services and mental health outreach programs. The Director provides directly and oversees the delivery of clinical supervision, psychotherapy, crisis intervention, professional consultation, outreach programming, and administration.
Provide leadership for Eckerd College Counseling Services to ensure the implementation of clinical counseling services which adhere to the highest professional standards and best practices for college counseling services. These services include, but are not limited to, prevention, consultation, treatment, referral, and outreach programming.
• Ensure the delivery of individual and group clinical supervision of doctoral-level externs and clinical supervision of all full and part-time clinical staff.
• Provide and coordinate on-call emergency coverage and crisis intervention for students in acute emotional distress.
• Provide clinical counseling services directly to students as needed
• Promote and provide consultation and training to Student Affairs professional staff, resident advisors, faculty, and administrators about issues that pertain to student academic adjustment, psychological wellness, and crisis management.
• Develop and maintain a dynamic network of outreach services and programming in collaboration with faculty and Student Affairs staff, especially staff in Outreach & Health Promotion, to enhance student psychological development and adjustment to college.
• Maintain an interdisciplinary relationship with the health care staff to design and implement wellness outreach programs.
• Establish and maintain effective systems for assessing, monitoring, and updating the quality of counseling services in response to the psychological needs of an ever changing campus environment.
• Manage the budget and Counseling Services resources to ensure appropriate fiscal controls that conform to Eckerd College policies and divisional guidelines.
• Other duties as assigned.
Position Directly Supervises
• All Full and part-time clinical staff
• Office Manager
• Therapy Practicum Trainees
• Ph.D. or Psy.D. in Counseling Psychology or Clinical Psychology from an APA-accredited program.
• Currently licensed, or license eligible, as a psychologist in Florida by the Florida State Board of Psychology within one year of starting employment.
• 5 years + experience working with young adults in college counseling center, community mental health agency, or comparable setting.
• 2 years + experience in clinical supervision and certification by the State of Florida as a clinical supervisor when applicable.
• Experience working in a college counseling center, and especially a small, private liberal arts college is preferred.
• Experience in treating alcohol/other drug abuse, eating disorders, sexual assault and violence, anxiety, depression, and school adjustment issues is preferred.
• The ability to maintain confidentiality, professionalism, and maturity in handling sensitive information, student interactions, and community relations.
• A commitment to student development within the context of a population inclusive of racial, ethnic, cultural, and sexual difference.
• A commitment to a church-related liberal arts education and to student development through an integrated approach to student life.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Excellent interpersonal skills; a collaborative, team-oriented approach.
• Excellent computer and organizational skills.
Eckerd College is committed to fostering a diverse faculty, staff, and student body, and an inclusive campus community. Eckerd is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Eckerd College is especially interested in attracting candidates from historically underrepresented groups.