Campus Safety and Security Officer
- - Campus Safety and Security
- St. Petersburg, FL, USA
- Full Time
ECKERD COLLEGE JOB DESCRIPTION
Position Title: Campus Safety and Security Officer
Department: Campus Safety
Immediate Supervisor/Title: Assistant Director of Campus Safety and Security
FLSA Status: Full-Time, Non-Exempt
Provides safety and security services which include the implementation and administration of programs that assist the Eckerd College community in maintaining order and/or improving the personal safety of the students, faculty, staff, guests and property of the College.
Essential Functions (other non-essential duties may be assigned)
1. Maintains a high visibility on campus as directed; always looking professional and exhibiting a pleasant personality in public.
2. Responds to calls for service or emergencies on campus, in a timely manner, and proceeds according to standard operating procedures and guidelines.
3. Enforces College policies according to EC handbook, local, state, and federal laws.
4. Creates incident reports for all policy violations and incidents in a well-written and concise format providing the necessary information for follow up by supervisors and/or other departments.
5. Communicates effectively with colleagues, departments and constituents in order to create a common understanding.
6. Answers the phone, collects and/or provides information, and dispatches Officers to respond to calls as necessary.
7. Conducts routine patrols of campus perimeter, exterior and interior of buildings, and special events to act as a preventative presence, enforce policies, and report and possibly correct deficiencies in security.
8. Knows the location of key personnel, emergency equipment, and basic layout of buildings (including fire alarm panel, electrical panels, and access points).
9. Completes preventative fire and life safety equipment checks, understands how to properly use fire/life safety equipment and is willing to utilize life safety equipment during an emergency.
10. Perform access control by greeting individuals entering campus, registering guests, and locking/unlocking buildings.
11. Works closely with other College departments to help foster a safe and collaborative environment.
12. Perform locksmith duties (i.e. cut keys and change locks).
13. Enforce parking policies through communication and ticketing.
• Must be 21 years of age
• Must be able to pass and maintain Basic First Aid, CPR and AED certifications.
• Basic skills with computerized information systems and ability to accurately type reports using word processing software
• Excellent skills in communication and customer service
• Possess a current and valid Florida Motor Vehicle Operator's Class D License and be able to obtain vehicle insurance.
Physical Requirements/Working Conditions
• Must be able to lift, carry, and transport up to 50 pounds
• Prolonged periods of standing or walking
• Must work outdoors in varying temperatures and weather conditions
• Regular after-hours work (nights, weekends, holidays)
• Frequent ascending and descending stairs
• Frequent operating motor vehicles including golf carts
Education and Experience
High school diploma or graduate equivalent degree
Eckerd College is committed to fostering a diverse faculty, staff, and student body, and an inclusive campus community. Eckerd is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Eckerd College is especially interested in attracting candidates from historically underrepresented groups.