- - Business Office
- St. Petersburg, FL, USA
- Full Time
ECKERD COLLEGE JOB DESCRIPTION
Position Title: Assistant Controller
Department: Business Office
Immediate Supervisor/Title: Associate Vice President & Controller
FLSA Status: Full-Time, Exempt
Reporting to the AVP & Controller, the Assistant Controller is responsible for timely and accurate maintenance of the general ledger, preparing interim financial statements, budget analyses, and assisting with the preparation of the annual financial statements in accordance with GAAP. The Assistant Controller is responsible for enforcing policies and procedures, and recommending updates, that will ensure strong internal controls and maintain the integrity of the College's fiscal records. This position has two direct reports and assists with managing functional areas within the Business Office including budgets, investments, endowment, and accounts payable.
The Assistant Controller demonstrates in-depth knowledge of accounting principles and applicable not-for-profit industry standards. The Assistant Controller must be able to research and apply accounting standards to Eckerd College policies and procedures, accounting, and reporting requirements. This position monitors FASB pronouncements and recommends modifications to systems, accounting, and reporting procedures accordingly.
Essential Functions (other non-essential duties may be assigned)
1. Supervises Business Office staff to include work allocation, training, and problem resolution; evaluates employee performance and makes recommendations for personnel actions; motivates employees to achieve peak productivity and performance.
2. Assists in the preparation of quarterly financial statements and annual financial statements in accordance with GAAP, and completes other financial projections and analytical reports as requested.
3. Develops policies; ensures that proper segregation of duties exists for each function within Business Office; ensures that policies are effectively communicated to the College community and that training opportunities are offered to the community on the interpretation and use of new policies.
4. Assists with preparation and managing the annual audit and is a key College liaison to the external auditors furnishing documentation and support data; provides timely responses to auditors.
5. Assist in managing the College's banking, cash management, investments, and endowment activities.
6. Contributes to planning, organizing, and preparing annual strategic and institutional assessment plans for the Business Office.
7. Oversees and contributes to the preparation of IPEDS, grant, and other financial and reports.
8. Assists with the administration of the College's investments and oversees reporting activity.
9. Monitors month-end activities to ensure a timely closing.
Position(s) Directly Supervised (title)
Accounts Payable Supervisor
Required Qualifications (knowledge, skills, abilities, and certifications needed upon entry into the position)
• Ability to successfully supervise staff as a team leader, to motivate and empower employees to high productivity and efficiency, and to foster an innovative, diverse, service-oriented environment.
• Ability to multi-task, undertake and lead projects, and follow-up to ensure successful completion.
• Strong systems/technical skills, preferably with Banner or similar systems.
• Strong PC skills required and demonstrated competencies using advanced Microsoft Excel.
• Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
• Ability to interact professionally and effectively with multiple constituencies.
• Knowledge and understanding of financial statement preparation and analysis for a college or university.
Physical Requirements/Working Conditions (include travel and after-hours work requirements)
• Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk, working on a computer, and talking on a phone.
• Must be able to push, pull, lift, or carry up to 15 pounds at times.
Education and Experience (minimum combined education and experience needed for position)
Bachelor's Degree in Accounting plus five (5) years of professional experience; Masters in Accounting or CPA preferred.
Eckerd College is committed to fostering a diverse faculty, staff, and student body, and an inclusive campus community. Eckerd is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Eckerd College is especially interested in attracting candidates from historically underrepresented groups.
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN CLOSED! PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE OPTIONS BELOW:
- Search Current Openings
Sign Up For Job Alerts
Follow Us On Social Media