Director of Accessibility
- - Center for Academic Excellence
- St. Petersburg, FL, USA
- Full Time
ECKERD COLLEGE JOB DESCRIPTION
Position Title: Director of Accessibility
Department: Center for Academic Excellence
Immediate Supervisor: Executive Director of Center for Academic Excellence
FLSA Status: Full-Time, Exempt
The Director of Accessibility is responsible for the functions of the Office of Accessibility including the coordination of student disability services, education regarding disability issues and services, developing campus programming, and providing wrap-around services for students with disabilities. The position supervises the Testing Center Coordinator and Accessibility Assistant, and reports to the Executive Director of the Center for Academic Excellence.
Essential Functions (other non-essential duties may be assigned)
1. Coordinate student disability services with documentation verification, establishment of accommodations, notification of faculty or other student life departments, and coordination of accommodations, including academic, housing, meal plan, and temporary disabilities, following ADA guidelines.
2. Educate and collaborate with campus partners regarding disability-related issues on campus.
3. Supervise two professional staff members: Testing Center Coordinator and Accessibility Assistant.
4. Collaborate with the academic coaches in the Center for Academic Excellence to provide wrap-around services for students with disabilities.
5. Assist the Executive Director with leadership and management of accessibility areas as needed.
6. Develop and present workshops related to department services.
7. Represent the department at college orientations and other functions.
8. Develop and oversee programming for Disability Awareness Month.
9. Share, with the staff in the Center for Academic Excellence, the responsibility for educating the College community about the Center's services.
10. Contribute to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures and backgrounds.
Position(s) Directly Supervised
• Knowledge of ADA guidelines and the establishment of reasonable accommodations for students in higher education.
• Knowledge of the range of accommodations for students in higher education, including assistive technologies.
• Ability to read and interpret psychological reports.
• Excellent written, oral, interpersonal and organizational skills as well as the ability to establish priorities and manage time wisely.
• Basic computer knowledge of MS Office and database skills. Experience with Accommodate software a plus.
• Ability to work independently and collaboratively with staff, faculty, and students.
• Willingness to explore new technologies and innovative organizational practices.
Physical Requirements/Working Conditions
• Infrequent travel for participation in continuing education.
• Occasional weekend and after-hours work required for participation in college orientation, admissions receptions, and high-traffic times for accessibility services.
• Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk, working on a computer, and talking on a phone.
• Must be able to push, pull, lift, or carry up to 10 pounds at times.
• Frequently required to communicate with students, faculty, staff, and administration verbally and in writing.
Education and Experience
Master's degree in disability studies, special education, or related discipline; or two years of relevant experience in the field and in working with individuals with disabilities.
Eckerd College is committed to fostering a diverse faculty, staff, and student body, and an inclusive campus community. Eckerd is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Eckerd College is especially interested in attracting candidates from historically underrepresented groups.
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN CLOSED! PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE OPTIONS BELOW:
- Search Current Openings
Sign Up For Job Alerts
Follow Us On Social Media