HR Benefits Specialist
- 20-Apr-2021 to 18-Jun-2021
- - Human Resources
- St. Petersburg, FL, USA
- Full Time
ECKERD COLLEGE JOB DESCRIPTION
Position Title: Benefits Specialist
Department: Human Resources
Immediate Supervisor: Director of Human Resources
FLSA Status: Full-Time, Non-Exempt
Serves as the first point of contact for benefit administration, and provides support to benefits plan administration (retirement plan, medical/dental, short-term disability, long-term disability, workers' compensation, Family Medical Leave, COBRA, ACA, Flexible Spending etc.), legal compliance, and required reporting for all plans. Administers benefits according to College policies and applicable laws; relies on advanced technical skills, related experience, working knowledge, and independent judgement to plan and accomplish individual and departmental goals; and demonstrates expertise in complex benefit administration and human resources practices.
Essential Functions (other non-essential duties may be assigned)
1. Participates in annual benefits renewal process and manages annual open enrollment, ensuring employees understand plan changes and complete the enrollment process.
2. Administers employee benefit plans including eligibility, enrollments, changes, and terminations. Processes required documents through payroll and insurance providers to ensure accurate record keeping and proper deductions.
3. Assists employees with questions regarding benefits claim issues, plan coverages, etc.
4. Conducts new employee orientations to enhance employees' knowledge and understanding of benefit plans.
5. Performs plan audits; prepares benefit and statistical census data for actuaries, insurance carriers and leadership.
6. Processes monthly billings and remittances; resolves discrepancies and reconciles all benefit accounts.
7. Administers 403(b) plan program and is responsible for managing employee loans, distributions, and withdrawals to ensure compliance.
8. Administers all leave of absence requests for FMLA, STD/LTD, Workers Compensation and sick leave pool; interprets FMLA implications related to leaves of absence and College policies.
9. Actively seeks and participates in any benefit related surveys provided by CUPA and/or other higher education providers; analyzes survey data to make recommendations regarding best practices and industry trends.
10. Plans, develops, and administers programs for the College's wellness initiative.
Position(s) Directly Supervised
Required Qualifications (knowledge, skills, abilities, and certifications needed upon entry into the position)
• Knowledge of all pertinent federal and state regulations, filing and compliance requirements affecting employee benefits programs, including the ACA, ERISA, COBRA, FMLA, ADA, Section 125, workers' compensation, Medicare, and Social Security and DOL requirements.
• Knowledge of and skills in Microsoft Office and Google Suite; advanced knowledge and skills in Excel and HRIS.
• Ability to handle and process confidential and sensitive information with discretion.
• Ability to communicate effectively in both verbal and written form.
• Ability to analyze and prepare documents, reports, and correspondence.
Physical Requirements/Working Conditions
• Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk, working on a computer, and communicating with others via email, video conferencing, chat applications, and/or telephone.
• Constantly operates a computer and other office productivity equipment including calculator, copy machine, and filing systems.
• Occasional after-hours work required (evenings, weekends) during peak times.
Education and Experience
Bachelor's degree in Human Resources or a related field; 3+ years' experience in a human resources generalist or specialist with at least 1 year of experience in benefits administration. The equivalent combination of education and experience may be substituted in lieu of a degree.
A cover letter and a resume must be submitted for consideration for this position.
Eckerd College is committed to fostering a diverse faculty, staff, and student body, and an inclusive campus community. Eckerd is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Eckerd College is especially interested in attracting candidates from historically underrepresented groups.
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN CLOSED! PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE OPTIONS BELOW:
- Search Current Openings
Sign Up For Job Alerts
Follow Us On Social Media