- - Information Technology
- St. Petersburg, FL, USA
- Full Time
ECKERD COLLEGE JOB DESCRIPTION
Position Title: Network Technician
Department: Information Technology Services
Immediate Supervisor: Network Engineer
FLSA Status: Full-Time, Exempt
Responsible for the operation of the college's data and telecommunications infrastructure including both wired/wireless networks as well as the campus PBX.
Essential Functions (other non-essential duties may be assigned)
1. Support the network/telephony infrastructure; troubleshoot cabling issues (twisted pair, fiber, coax), rack management, line termination.
2. Complete the installation of networking hardware. This often includes physical lifting of switches, APs and UPS systems as well as working on a ladder.
3. Maintain responsibility for network performance, problem resolution, and monitoring across both the campus backbone and remote sites
4. Coordinate with the Network Engineer and Systems Administrator and others in ITS on issues pertaining to the campus-wide network infrastructure, business continuity and disaster recovery
5. Maintain the campus PBX including voicemail administration, handset programming, call trees, direct dial.
6. Monitor help desk tickets and respond in accordance with established SLAs.
7. Document system layouts and configurations.
8. Serve as backup support to the Network Engineer
Position(s) Directly Supervised
• Knowledge of TCP/IP networking, wireless networking, routers, subnets, SNMP, IDS/firewall, ethernet, switches, and cabling
• Knowledge of desktop computer hardware and software
• Knowledge of LAN, WAN and Telephony technologies
• Ability to communicate effectively with ITS personnel, students and campus computer users-technical and non-technical
Physical Requirements/Working Conditions
• Frequently required to operate computers and other technology equipment.
• Occasional after-hours work (nights, weekends) required for troubleshooting and maintenance.
• Frequently required to move and transport equipment and objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
• Frequently required to ascend and descend ladders and staircases.
• Frequently required to position self to make network repairs.
Education and Experience
High School diploma or equivalency; at least three (3) years of networking experience. Preferred qualifications include experience with an enterprise setting or an educational institution; network certifications such as CCNP and CCNA; experience with Extreme Network Switches, Ruckus wireless access points, Palo Alto firewalls; and NEC PBX phone systems.
Eckerd College is committed to fostering a diverse faculty, staff, and student body, and an inclusive campus community. Eckerd is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Eckerd College is especially interested in attracting candidates from historically underrepresented groups.
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN CLOSED! PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE OPTIONS BELOW:
- Search Current Openings
Sign Up For Job Alerts
Follow Us On Social Media