Access Services Librarian/Assistant Professor, tenure-track
- 21-Oct-2021 to 14-Jan-2022
- - Library
- FL, USA
- Full Time
Eckerd College Library seeks an energetic, self-directed, forward thinking librarian for the Access Services Librarian tenure-track position at the rank of Assistant Professor to begin August 2022. Reporting to the Director of Library Services, the Access Services Librarian provides leadership, management, vision, and planning to facilitate access to materials needed for learning, teaching, and research while creating an inclusive and collaborative working environment. Responsibilities consist of maintaining high customer service standards, ensuring the smooth delivery of circulation functions, oversight of course reserves, shelf management, and resource sharing operations. This position supervises up to two full-time staff members, two part-time library assistants, and multiple student assistants.
- In consultation with the Director of Library Services, plan, develop and enforce policies for the Library Services Desk and Interlibrary Loan ensuring high customer service standards and courteous conflict resolution with library users.
- Supervise Access Services staff in circulation and interlibrary loan.
- Provide support for the technological systems required to support and troubleshoot Access Services functions (Ex Libris/Alma Primo ILS and OCLC Tipasa (experience preferred).
- Serve as the first point of contact for reporting library facilities and safety issues to Library Administration for follow up and resolution.
- Compile and report access services statistics for institutional, state, and national reports.
- Participate in collection development, including the acquisition and withdrawal of items from the library's collection.
- Provide reference and research assistance (10-12 hours each week) in person, by phone, email, zoom, and proactive chat.
- Serve as library liaison to the Behavioral Sciences Collegium, and as an active member of that collegium, report on library activities, ascertain their needs in terms of collection development and services, and offer suggestions about possible resources for inclusion in the library.
- Participate in the library instruction program by teaching information literacy classes in the liaison area, and other areas as needed.
- Create and maintain online research guides in support of corresponding learning outcomes.
- Remain current regarding issues and trends related to access services in college libraries by attending conferences and online training and following listservs and professional journals.
- Participates in the design and implementation of library initiatives.
Position Directly Supervises:
- Public Services Supervisor
- Evening/Weekend Circulation Assistant(s)
- Interlibrary Loan/Circulation Assistant
Faculty and Community Responsibilities:
- Participate in the faculty governance structure by serving on various campus committees.
- Teach in the college's general education program on a rotational basis, as needed and as approved by the Director of Library Services.
- Maintain currency, nourish professional growth, and contribute to advancing the reputation of the college by actively participating in professional library organizations, publishing endeavors, and/or other library related research activities.
- Encourage and promote cooperation amongst area libraries by developing good working relationships with other local libraries/librarians.
- Prior experience in a supervisory role leading a department or unit is preferred.
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to set priorities and adapt to a rapidly changing learning environment.
- Strong technological skills, including proficiency in Google Apps for Education, Microsoft Office Suite, Ex Libris Alma/Primo, and OCLC Tipasa.
- Work schedule may include evening and occasional weekend rotations.
- Minimum of 1-year professional experience in an academic library.
Education and Experience:
- MLS or equivalent degree from an ALA accredited institution is required.
- Academic background in one of the social sciences is preferred.
- At least one year of experience that includes staff supervision in an academic library is required.
Eckerd College, the only independent national liberal arts college in Florida, has a tradition of innovative education and teaching/mentoring excellence. Submit a letter of application, curriculum vitae, and contact information for three references via https://eckerd.hirecentric.com/jobs/. Applications for this position will be accepted until January 14, 2022 (midnight eastern standard time). Inquiries may be sent to Lisa N. Johnston, Director of Library Services, email@example.com.
Eckerd College is committed to fostering a diverse faculty, staff, and student body, and an inclusive campus community. Eckerd is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Eckerd College is especially interested in attracting candidates from historically underrepresented groups.
Employment will require a successful background check.
Eckerd College requires all employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. To learn more about the policy or to request an exemption from the vaccine requirement, please contact Eckerd Human Resources at 727-864-8332 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN CLOSED! PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE OPTIONS BELOW:
- Search Current Openings
Sign Up For Job Alerts
Follow Us On Social Media