- 09-Nov-2022 to 08-Dec-2022
- - Student Affairs
- St. Petersburg, FL, USA
- Full Time
Position Title: Career Advisor
Department: Student Affairs
Immediate Supervisor: Associate Dean of Students/Director of Career Services
FLSA Status: Full-Time, Non-Exempt
Guides students and alumni in developing lifelong professional skills. Meets daily with current and former students in one-on-one appointments, facilitates events and programs, presents in classes and to student groups, and develops career-related resources.
Essential Functions (other non-essential duties may be assigned)
- Advise and coach students (regardless of major or class standing) and alumni with all aspects of their professional lives such as career research and exploration, goal setting, job and internship search, resume and cover letter writing, networking, interviewing, professional etiquette, and applying to graduate schools.
- Organize appointment schedule, record detailed advising notes, and remain flexible for walk-in appointments.
- Plan, design, and execute events, educational initiatives, and classroom presentations to diverse academic audiences.
- Develop new print and web-based resources to meet campus needs, and ensure they remain up-to-date.
- Complete strategic projects and research, particularly while classes are not in session.
- Assist with assessment efforts and with building Symplicity reports.
- Meet individually with student to complete student employment paperwork (including I-9, W-4, direct deposit, and E-Verify) when necessary.
- Represent Career Services on interdepartmental projects and committees.
Position(s) Directly Supervised
- Skills in career coaching/advising with knowledge of holistic approaches to career and life planning.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing to guide students in career planning.
- Ability to effectively present information in a public/presentation setting.
- Ability to independently design and implement career planning events.
- Knowledge of best practices of resume writing and design; skills in effectively constructing resumes and cover letters.
- Ability to effectively manage and complete multiple projects simultaneously.
- Physical Requirements/Working Conditions
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk, working on a computer, and communicating with others in person or via email, video conferencing, chat applications, and/or telephone.
- Constantly operates a computer and other office productivity equipment including calculator, copy machine, and filing systems.
- Occasional after-hours work required (nights, weekends)
Education and Experience
Bachelor's degree; previous experience working directly with students in a career advising/development capacity. A resume and cover letter must be included for consideration for the position.
Employment will require a successful background check.
Eckerd College is committed to fostering a diverse faculty, staff, and student body, and an inclusive campus community. Eckerd is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Eckerd College is especially interested in attracting candidates from historically underrepresented groups.
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN CLOSED! PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE OPTIONS BELOW:
- Search Current Openings
Sign Up For Job Alerts
Follow Us On Social Media